Monday, January 17, 2011

Wonderful Long Weekend

This semester I have no Friday classes, which is wonderful! Especially because Will only works every over Friday, so that means every other week, we get a long three day weekend. (On the Fridays that he works, I am going to try and commit myself to work on my upper level writing requirement, so help keep me honest.) Well, this weekend was even better, because we got today off as well, for MLK day.

We have had such a fun weekend. A couple of people asked us earlier if we wanted to go out of town and do things, but we decided we just wanted to spend the weekend in Charleston. We started our weekend Thursday night and went to the Charleston Southern vs. Presbyterian game. It was great to see my alma matter playing only 2 minutes away, and there was a good PC crowd there! Missing our best player, it was still a great game, but PC ended up losing by 5 points.
It was strange to see Charleston Southern's gym, it was much smaller than even PC's gym, and obviously tons smaller than our high school gym. (Excuse the picture quality, we are currently facing a camera crisis, in that mine stinks and has suddenly gotten very fuzzy.)

So, Will and I watch a lot of strange tv. We love the discovery channel and A&E, and in particular a show called Auction Kings. It is about a guy who runs an auction house in Atlanta, GA, and the auctions always look so fun, we decided we wanted to find one to go to. Well it was not hard, there was one this past Saturday just a few minutes away, so we decided to go. It was so much fun!
Here are some of the people walking around before it started. We had no idea what to expect. When you get there you get a bid number and then walk around and look at all the items and see if there is anything you are interested in. It was 9:30 in the morning on a Saturday morning, but people were ready to go, you could even go ahead and get a chili hot dog (of which the smell made me want to be sick at that time of day).

The majority of the items are from estate sales, but some are just individual consignment pieces that people have brought in. I love antiques and looking at old furniture, so this was right up my alley. First they sold all the Persian rugs which went from about $40-$250 and were done really fast. Then everyone sat down and they worked their way around the room. If you were interested in a particular item, you told them and they put that up, because they had so much to sale. We were there from 9:30-1:30 and left when they still had a little bit to sale.
This is a picture of some more of the furniture. They had a pair of poster twin beds that I loved, but they went for way more than I was willing to pay. They also had an antique dresser that was a soft green and had a fabulous look to it. You can see the corner of it in the picture above, it is to the right. Will and I decided we would be willing to pay $75 for it; we thought it would be great in a guest room or in a nursery one day. As the auctioneer got closer to it, my heart was racing, it was so exciting. The bidding started at $30 and so I raised my card. It was all so fast and exciting, I can see how it would be addicting, but in the end it was between me and another woman and she bid $90 so I stopped. But, even though we didn't get it, I wasn't disappointed, because it was so much fun! We cannot wait to go back!

I will tell you about the rest of our weekend later, but it has been a great relaxing weekend! We hope yours has been just as wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment